Fasting is the most effective way of triggering Autophagy. In several religions, there is a ritual for fasting for obvious reasons. However, currently, people consume twice the calories of their regular meal on a fasting day. Hence, this kind of fasting does not serve the purpose. Fasting term is nowadays a famous by the name of Intermittent Fasting. There are no religious sentiments attached to it. However, the principle and the benefits are the same. Intermittent fasting is the most popular technique for getting rid of excess weight and inflammatory diseases worldwide.
- Time-restricted eating
In this method, eating and fasting are time-restricted.
16:8–16 hours of fasting and eating frame of 8 hours
14:10–14 hours of fasting and eating frame of 10 hours
12:12–12 hours of fasting and eating frame of 12 hours
As we already fast while sleeping, this method is convenient and popular. Hence can be repeated once or twice a week or even daily. During the eating window, it is advisable to avoid high calorie-dense foods.
- The twice-a-week method
With this technique of intermittent fasting, one should curb the calories up to 500 for two consecutive days a week. During the fasting days prefer to eat an ample amount of fibre and keep yourself well hydrated. During the rest of the five days of the week, one should consume a balanced diet.
- Alternate day fasting
In this technique of intermittent fasting, one has to fast on alternate days.
On fasting day: Reduce calorie intake from 0 to 500
On non-fasting day: Consume a balanced diet. Avoid highly dense calorie food.
- The 24-hour fast
This method involves fasting for a continuous 24 hours. This can be incorporated only once or twice a week. It is advisable to stay well hydrated during fasting. In case of feeling drowsiness or irritability, consume any low-calorie food.
- Only one meal a day
Consume only one huge meal in the entire day and for rest of the day stay well hydrated. If a person feels dizzy during the fasting then they can eat extreme low calorie and high fibrous food. This kind of fasting can be done from two days a week to every day.
- Eat when you are hungry
This technique of intermittent fasting is debatable. In this technique, it is advised that a person should not follow the breakfast-lunch-dinner plan. An individual should eat only if feels hungry. This technique has suggested skipping any meal of the day. One can choose to skip different meals on a different day. Also, it suggests skipping the meal when there is no time to eat instead of eating in hurry.
Intermittent fasting has terrific benefits.
- Autophagy -It activates the Autophagy in our body that promotes cellular repair processes to get rid of worn-out cells and increase metabolism. Ultimately it helps in fighting inflammation, infections, and slowdowns the ageing process.
- Balances Hormones and weight loss -It leads to a significant drop in blood insulin levels and a rise in Human growth hormone (HGH) levels. Both hormones facilitate fat loss and help in muscle gain.
Controlled insulin levels prevent type-2 Diabetes. Also, helps in burning visceral fats.
- Fights depression and prevent neurodegenerative diseases -Fasting also increases levels of a brain hormone called brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF). The deficiency of BDNF leads to mental health issues like depression. Also, fasting may protect against other neurodegenerative diseases like Parkinson’s disease, Huntington’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, etc.
- When to avoid IF
- If suffering from Diabetes and taking medications
- Any eating disorders
- Low blood pressure
- Sleep Problems
- Generalized fatigue and weakness
- Cardiac issues
- Often the person feels hungry and irritable-if one doesn’t eat well during the eating span.
- A person might suffer from deficiencies and fatigue — if fasts for too long and does not consume a balanced diet during the eating window.
- No changes in weight — During the eating window if a person consumes too much dense calorie food and junk, then it might not help weight loss.
Let us know your views and experience in the comments below. Until next time Rewrite your Mind & Relive your Life. Thank You.